Friday, September 5, 2008

The Vegetarian Hundred

I am not a vegetarian and doubt that I would survive more than a week of vegetarianism (I am one of those people who gets hungry in about 30 minutes after a fully vegetarian meal plus I don't like beans, so I would pretty much waste away), but this was another list that I found in a blog that I read called Accidental Hedonist. NOTE--I have also yet to meet a vegetarian who had a mother (or father) who was a great cook (please let me know if you know of anyone who can dispel this thought, but I have yet to find one).

Since the last list took forever to post links to the food, I am just going to post my eats in blue bold italics with a few links (some of them turned out white but they are the underlined ones that I have also eaten) for the food items that might not be familiar.


The Vegetarian Hundred by Barbara Fisher


1. Real macaroni and cheese, made from scratch and baked (I need to make some soon)
2. Tabouleh
3. Freshly baked bread, straight from the oven (preferably with homemade strawberry jam)
4. Fresh figs (My parents have a tree)
5. Fresh pomegranate (My parents have a pomegranate tree too. The lucky ducks live in SoCal)
6. Indian dal of any sort

7. Imam bayildi
8. Pressed spiced Chinese tofu
9. Freshly made hummus
10.
Tahini
11. Kimchi
12. Miso
13. Falafel

14. Potato and pea filled samosas (so yummy)
15. Homemade yogurt
16. Muhammara
17. Brie en croute
18. Spanikopita
19. Fresh, vine-ripened heirloom tomatoes
20. Insalata caprese
21. Stir-fried greens (gai lan, bok choi, pea shoots, kale, chard or collards) (I have eaten all of the above)
22. Freshly made salsa
23. Freshly made guacamole (is there any other kind??)
24. Creme brulee (one of my favorite desserts along with flan)
25. Fava beans
26. Chinese cold sesame peanut noodles

27. Fattoush
28. New potatoes
29. Coleslaw
30.Ratatouille (not my favorite)
31 . Baba ganoush

32. Winter squash
33. Roasted beets (I love beets, so I am going to have to try this)
34. Baked sweet potatoes (with a little butter and sour cream)
35. Plantains (we ate these like crazy in Miami)
36. Chocolate truffles
37. Garlic mashed potatoes
38. Fresh water chestnuts
39. Steel cut oats
40. Quinoa
41. Grilled portabello
42. Chipotle en adobo
43. Stone ground whole grain cornmeal (grits!!)
44. Freshly made corn or wheat tortillas
45. Frittata
46. Basil pesto
47. Roasted garlic
48. Raita of any type
49. Mango lassi
50. Jasmine rice (white or brown)
51. Thai vegetarian coconut milk curry
52. Pumpkin in any form other than pie
53. Fresh apple pear or plum gallette
54. Quince in any form
55. Escarole, endive or arugula
56. Sprouts other than mung bean
57. Naturally brewed soy
58. Dried shiitake mushrooms
59. Unusually colored vegetables (purple cauliflower, blue potatoes, chocolate bell peppers…)
60. Fresh peach ice cream
61. Chevre
62. Medjool dates
63. Kheer
64. Flourless chocolate cake

65. Grilled corn on the cob
66. Black bean (or any other bean) vegetarian chili (Oh, goodness. No thanks!)
67. Tempeh
68. Seitan or wheat gluten
69. Gorgonzola or any other blue veined cheese (not the biggest fan)
70. Sweet potato fries
71. Homemade au gratin potatoes
72. Cream of asparagus soup (one of my favorite soups ever)
73. Artichoke-Parmesan dip
74. Mushroom risotto (with wild mushrooms...yummy)
75.
Fermented black beans (staple of Chinese cuisine)
76. Garlic scapes
77. Fresh new baby peas
78. Kalamata olives
79. Preserved lemons
80. Fried green tomatoes (going to make some for lunch! I love these)
81. Chinese scallion pancakes (homemade ones are the best)
82. Cheese souffle

83. Fried apples
84. Homemade frijoles refritos (not my favorite thing, but I have eaten them)
85. Pasta fagiole
86. Macadamia nuts in any form
87. Paw paw in any form
88. Grilled cheese sandwich of any kind (My newest version includes an Irish cheese that we buy at Costco, which has Nathaniel asking when I am going back to get some more)
89.
Paneer cheese
90. Ma Po Tofu (vegetarian style–no pork!) (I love this stuff, but I really love it with the pork)
91. Fresh pasta in any form (My brother makes the best seafood with homemade pasta)
92. Grilled leeks, scallions or ramps (delicious)
93. Green papaya salad (so sad that Zen Zero stopped serving this)
94. Baked grain and vegetable stuffed tomatoes
95. Pickled ginger (everytime I eat sushi)
96. Methi greens
97. Aloo paratha
98. Kedgeree (the original Indian version without the smoked fish, not the British version with fish)
99. Okra (I didn't know that Chris liked okra so much until recently!)
100. Roasted brussels sprouts

No comments: