Sunday, September 7, 2008

Trust Your Instincts When Cooking

During my convalescence this weekend, I spent much time lying on the couch, watching sports and reading food blogs on the laptop (I know that I should have been reading the cookbooks, but I didn't really leave the couch. There is an indentation to prove it). Yes, I lead an exciting life. I have to say that I did learn a lot and found lots of delicious looking recipes. I was feeling a bit better today, so I decided to make dinner since Nathaniel was at home. This is the recipe that I decided to use. Carnitas from a blog written by an American guy (and former Chez Panisse pastry chef), who lives in my favorite city, Paris.

I was excited because we had lots of things that we could use to put with the carnitas in tortillas and Nathaniel loves meals like this. Too bad that the pork wasn't as delicious as it should have been.

I had followed his recipe, but by the second turn of the pork in the oven, I noticed that it might be getting close to being done. Since there still was 1 1/2 hours left according to the recipe, I decided to leave it in the oven. I ended up pulling it out of the oven with 45 minutes left, but it was too done. It wasn't terrible, but there was definitely parts of the pork that were too dried out. I was also thinking that I should have used a bigger roasting pan and given the pork some breathing room, so that I would have had more water in the pan. It was still edible, but the leftover pork made it in the trash because there was no way that reheating it would have been a good option. I'll have to try this recipe again because it really should be delicious and not just ok, but it looks like my illness altered my cooking brain and made me not trust my instincts. I promise not do it again.

No comments: