Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Falafels

I have been bugged to post more healthy recipes. Ok, maybe not bugged, but definitely threatened. I won't mention any names, cough, Danielle. Chris has also been bugging to me to try to make falafels. Since I like Danielle and I like falafels (I don't really like Chris but that's another post--just kidding honey!), I decided that I would try out a recipe from Cooking Light because another friend had tried it.


There were a few things that I did differently than in the recipe.


1) I used 1/2 cup of fresh cilantro instead of the ground coriander (since I didn't have any). I love cilantro and really think that it added to the taste.



2) My tomatoes that I had died, so I had to skip the whole relish part even though it sounded delicious. I'll have to try that out next time. I just sliced up some cucumber and added it to the pita instead. You could add all kinds of yummy veggies to this; red onion, sprouts, tomatoes, etc. etc.



3) I didn't follow the recipe and divide the mixture into 16 portions. I thought I was cool and made eight big ones. When I was stuffing the pitas, I realized that I wasn't so cool anymore. It's too big for the pita!

4) I also used white pita instead of wheat because Chris was the one that went to the store and I only wrote down pita and not WHEAT pita on the list. We'll forgive him this time and I don't think it's really going to matter if you use wheat or white pita.

These are great because they are easy to make and not fried like they usually are (not that I don't like the fried ones, but what a mess frying is in your kitchen!). I loved the sauce. I scooped some extra into my pita (I love goat cheese) and probably would have licked the bowl if I didn't get a good share of this sauce already. Try it! It's delicious!
Falafel Pitas

1 comment:

Adrea said...

I like Cooking Light magazine. I still don't cook any of those recipes either though...lol