Sunday, September 21, 2008

This Week's Farmer's Market Trip


This week's trip did result in a high bill, but not a lot of goods. Chris found out that he was leaving town for work (to Argentina--little booger) late Thursday afternoon and I had just emailed Amy a meat order. We had some company with us on our farmer's market trip, which is always fun. Since I still have a fridge full of leftovers, I decided not to go crazy with the perishables. I did pick up 2 lbs ground pork (we seem to eat a lot of this, huh?), lb sirloin, 4 lbs beef shanks, golden delicious apples, a daikon radish, parsley, lots of jalapeno peppers, salad mix and a goat cheese spread.


The trip to the Farmer's Market was a little disappointing to me because my favorite food item was sadly missing--tomatoes. After a very abundant supply throughout the summer, it looks like their time has ended (there were some left, but they weren't very appealing looking and were being marketed as tomatoes for canning). When we were in Seattle, our friends (who had lived in KS) commented on how they could grow anything in their climate, but the tomatoes tasted so much better in KS. It's true and even CA tomatoes have nothing on a homegrown KS tomato.


It was the first time that I purchased any cheese from the cheese ladies. The goat cheese spread is made with artichoke hearts, Kalamata olives and roasted red peppers. It's pretty tasty, but I am not sure it was worth the $8 for 8 oz. Since these ladies bring their very cute 14-year old Pomeranian dog (I am not a big "little" dog person, but I am obsessed with Pommies!), I am sure that I'll be trying out their other cheeses in the future.


Moose is a big fan of the salad mix (she loves greens---she might actually be a rabbit) and right after I took the picture, she was begging for a few pieces. Anyway, here she is after her snack!


No comments: