Thursday, September 25, 2008

Pancakes!

I just cleaned out my pantry the other day and got rid of anything that was hiding in there past the expiration date. Having a not-crammed pantry made me decide that I wasn't going to buy "extra" boxes of mixes like pancake, muffins, cake mixes (even though I have a great cookbook that uses cake mixes that I will use in the future for my blog), etc. and store them for months (or sometimes years..haha). I had also read in the last year that Aunt Jemima pancake mix had a recall because of the threat of salmonella, so I decided that it was time to make my own pancake mix.

I made them for Nathaniel this morning and he said that they were better than the box mix pancakes! I wasn't feeling great (I have a bit of a cough with some phlegm which has made my appetite disappear), so I only had a little bite off the edge. They were quite tasty with a fluffier texture than the stuff that you buy in a box. The ingredients are things that you most likely have around, so give it a try!

Fluffy Pancakes adapted from Neiman-Marcus' Pigtails and Froglegs cookbook (I know that I have already used this one multiple times, so it doesn't count towards my cookbook countdown!)

1 egg
3/4 cup plus 2 tbs milk
2 tbs vegetable oil
1 cup flour
1/2 teas salt
2 tbs baking powder
2 tbs sugar


Combine all ingredients and beat with mixer until smooth. Pour some batter into a pan (I use a non-stick one omelet pan) and cook like you would with regular pancakes (everyone knows how to make pancakes right?).


*Recipe calls to use 1/4 cup batter for small pancakes which will equal about 12 pancakes. I made 5 decent sized ones instead.


**Maybe next time, I'll make my own syrup too!

No comments: