Friday, September 19, 2008

Bolognese Sauce

Last night, we had a softball game to go to and I decided to invite over Megan and Paul for dinner after the game. I had to think of something quick (at 4 PM, I was still pondering the dinner menu--I had dessert done, but that's it) and easy. I also had the challenge of having to make something that would keep till we were home from the game. But the biggest obstacle was to make something that Paul would eat because I didn't want to become a dinner nightmare story of his. Ask him about eating over at Chris' parents' house when he was younger---Paul still hasn't gotten over the eggplant lasagna and spinach stuffed squash!



I scoured my cookbooks and decided on something that I didn't have to go to the grocery store for and would not prevent me from missing the softball game. I found it in Giada De Laurentiis' cookbook, Everyday Italian. I do love her show (because she can actually cook!), but I have often wondered if she really needs that much cleavage to cook. What I mean is that sometimes she'll be deep-frying and breast skin & hot oil is not a good combo....heck, any skin on your body and hot oil isn't a good combo!



It seemed to go over well with my picky eater, Paul (well, at least, I didn't see him heel over or anything), who even had a second serving. I am going to make this for Nathaniel one of these days since the veggies are cut up small and not super noticeable (great way to get those kiddos to eat them). It's super easy and with many ingredients that you might already have on hand. The other great thing is that you could use just about any pasta and it would still be delicious.

Simple Bolognese from Giada De Laurentiis' Everyday Italian

1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, minced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 celery stalk, minced
1 carrot, peeled and minced
1 lb ground beef
1 (28 oz) can crushed tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
8 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/2 teas salt, plus more to taste
1/2 teas pepper, plus more to taste
1/4 cup freshly grated Percorino Romano cheese (don't even think about omitting this---totally makes the dish!)

In a large skillet, heat the oil over a medium flame. When almost smoking, add the onion and garlic and saute until the onion is very tender, about 8 minutes. Add the celery and carrot and saute for 5 minutes. Increase the heat to high, add the beef and saute until the meat is no longer pink, breaking up any large lumps, about 10 minutes. Add the tomatoes, parsley, basil and 1/2 teas of salt and pepper. Cook over medium low until the sauce thickens, about 30 minutes. Stir in the cheese, then season with more salt and pepper to taste.


P.S. No picture--I forgot!

No comments: