Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Omnivore's Dilemma


It's rare that I read a book that gets me really excited, so much that I want to talk about it with just about anyone that I know (and especially with fellow foodies). If you like to eat and care even a tiny bit about your food, you need to read Michael Pollan's The Omnivore's Dilemma (if you haven't already). I read this a couple of months ago and I have been meaning to post about it because it's pretty eye-opening without being preachy (he is not telling you never to eat meat or to become a hippie on a farm). I was able to find an excerpt of the book online with the intro and the first chapter for those who are still unsure if they want to read this book or not. Even if you aren't impressed with his book (I have yet to find this person, but maybe there are some out there), I promise you'll come out with some more knowledge and appreciation for the food that you eat.


When we were visiting in Virginia, I had even mentioned it to our hosts, Don and Mary Helen, who live on a working farm just outside of Charlottesville. They had both read it on the recommendation of their nephew who lives in Moscow (and was equally excited about this book)! They live around an hour or two away from PolyFace Farms (which is mentioned in Pollan's book and an amazing farm!) and I was terribly disappointed that we didn't have more time to go tour it. That means we'll definitely have to make another trip out that way in the near future!


Anyway, I do hope that some of you out there will read this book or if you have read it, please let me know what you thought of it! I love this book!

2 comments:

C. said...

Salutations Grace!!! You know longer need to refer to yourself as Danielle's Friend in my comments you are now in my blog social circle so "Grace" will do. I am definately going to read this book. Looks so interesting. P.S. Danielle is green with Envy over our bags.

Grace said...

Danielle wants to be like us ;)