Thursday, September 18, 2008

50 States of Wine

Did you know that every state produces wine? I can't say that I knew this, but I can say that I am not surprised. There are wineries everywhere (including one that is awfully close to Lawrence and produces some of the WORST wine I have ever tasted---think vinegar in a bottle and think Grace pouring the vinegar down the drain). As much as going on a 100-mile radius diet would be do-able here, I would not give up my wine because frankly, I could not drink any wine that is produced close by. I will admit that I am not as big a wine connoisseur as I would like to be, but I can definitely know when a wine tastes like a**!

I used to read the big wine mags like Wine Spectator here in KS, but I was always frustrated that wine can't be shipped to my Mid-Western state. Try going to Napa and finding out that the winery that you fell in love with has a monthly wine club for a very reasonable price, but they can't ship anything to you because KS still has some kind of prohibition law! Lawrence does have a liquor store, Cork & Barrel, with a very decent wine selection (with a great owner who has an email wine newsletter and many sweet deals on wine weekly), but I have never gotten over not being able to get most of the wines that I was reading about. Heck, we can't even buy wine at Costco in KS unless we make the extra 10 minute drive to the one that is in Missouri. Damn KS!

Anyway, the point of this post is that I found an interesting article where the author drank a wine (at least one) from each state. If you are a wine lover, check it out! There are some surprising finds (and some not so surprising) about our 50 states of wine. And yes, it doesn't look as if the U.S. is going to be like wine producing France anytime soon.
50 States of Wine
If you don't want to read the article and just want to see the reviews of all of them, here is that part of the story. 50 American Wines

Doesn't a glass of wine sound good right about now?

1 comment:

Adrea said...

Good god, I totally want a glass of wine now! Damn you!! LOL

Okay so when you come to town we totally have to do a wine tasting then. I get emails every week with discounts to wine tastings.