Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Tomatoes, Shrimp and Pasta

There hasn't been much shrimp eating in our household lately since I read an old article in Gourmet about farmed shrimp. Let's just say, I have been reading packages of shrimp to see where they are coming from and I've been very disappointed to say that I have yet to find farmed shrimp from the U.S. in any grocery stores close by. But today, I finally broke down and picked up some shrimp at the Merc (it's the local co-op grocery store for those who don't live around here) figuring that I was going to pretend that I hadn't read that article.

I have told Chris that he better be ready to eat fresh tomatoes everyday until the Farmer's Market no longer has any. After a tomato/zucchini/cheese angel hair pasta last night, I made this favorite tonight. If you like shrimp and tomatoes, this is a must-make! It's delicious!

Lake Tahoe Seafood Pasta adapted from Neiman-Marcus' Pure and Simple
serves 6

1 pound shelled shrimp (or any other seafood)
6 tbs butter
1/2 cup cognac (don't omit this--if you have to buy the smallest bottle you can find, but the recipe won't be the same without it!)
1/3 cup dry white wine
3 lbs tomatoes, cut into chunks (the recipe says to peel them, but I don't. If the skin doesn't bug you, then leave them)
3/4 cup cream
cayenne pepper to taste
1 teas Italian seasoning
salt
1 lb spaghetti, cooked and drained

Saute shrimp until pink in the melted butter, add cognac and flambe. I find that a long match or a long lighter (like the ones that you use to light the fireplace) works best for this. I can't stress enough how the flavor will change if you don't use the cognac. I went through a Hennessey with Coke drink stage, so I am lucky enough to have a big bottle at home.

Be sure not to stand too close to the flame. Wouldn't want your eyebrows to be burned off! See the flames. Actually in the picture, you can't see how high that the flames really are. I was a little worried that my microwave might melt! Add wine and cook one minute. Remove the shrimp and add the tomatoes to the sauce. Add seasonings. You'll want to adjust them later to your tastes. We like a spicier sauce, so I add more cayenne pepper. Simmer the sauce until the tomatoes are broken up about 20 minutes. While this is simmering, you'll want to start boiling your water and cook your pasta.
Lower heat and stir in cream. Adjust seasonings as needed. Add shrimp back into the sauce. Pour over pasta.
P.S. Maybe I should have wiped the bowl before taking the pic, huh?

No comments: