Friday, October 17, 2008

Road Trip!!!

We are leaving for Oklahoma this afternoon and heading straight to Cattlemen's Steakhouse in Oklahoma City for dinner. I am super excited because I have yet to have a fabulous restaurant steak while living in the Midwest except years ago at Ruth Chris' (which is a chain and cost $50!). I live in cattle country--come on, there has to be a great steak out there! But I continue to be disappointed over and over with overcooked, chewy, tasteless steaks. I'll get a decent one every once in awhile, but I have never gotten a great one here in the Midwest. Why have I been able to buy tasty steaks in the grocery store in KS, but how come I can't get one in a restaurant? When we decided that we were going down to OK for the OU-Kansas football game, I told Chris that we were eating at Cattlemen's (since he had eaten there before) and maybe I would finally get the steak that I have been looking for all my adult life!

At Cattlemen's, they also serve lamb fries. If you don't know what these are, let's just say most men will cringe at the thought of eating these. I have tried them in the past (at a holiday party where the boss took the whole office & spouses to dinner and there were more than a couple of plates of these to try) and I can't say that I love them. They are a bit on the chewy side and don't really taste like anything. Just fried. I asked Chris if he would eat these (he will eat anything! This is the guy who ordered worms in Mexico City for his dinner!) and he said with a weird look on his face that he wasn't sure. We will have Chris' youngest brother with us too, so I am thinking that maybe I'll order myself a plate and freak them both out while digging into this strange culinary creation.

Cattlemen's Steakhouse

We were excited to hear that our friend, who throws the KU tailgates at home, will also be making the trek down to Norman to see the game. Bill always throws a great tailgate and it will be fun to be able to drink and eat before watching some football (it might not be pretty since OU just lost last weekend!) with Chris' parents and our friends. I am also looking forward to going to the OU's Fred Jones Jr Museum of Art. For those who don't know, I was an art history major at KU and traveling to art museums is a big passion of mine.

After the game, we'll be heading down to Dallas to hang out with our friends, relax, shop, go see some art and EAT! Jeff has already asked if I wanted to go eat at Babe's (I am obsessed). Babe's is a BYOB fried chicken restaurant with two items on the menu--fried chicken or chicken fried steak. If you order the steak, people look at you weird because the chicken is where it's at. Along with the chicken, you get salad, mashed potatoes, creamed corn and biscuits. If I could get them to cater a wedding reception in Lawrence, I would!

Since I'll be gone for a few days, I won't be cooking much but I'll be sure to post about my travels & food down in OK and TX! Have a great weekend!

No comments: