Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Homemade Hash Browns

If there is something that Chris loves to eat, it's potatoes. If there is something that Nathaniel loves to eat, it's potatoes. Both of the boys will eat them pretty much anyway that I prepare them. On the other hand, it's hard for me to go through an entire 5 lb bag of potatoes without a little bit of moaning and I rarely finish off the bag without the last few spuds growing multiple eyes. Since I have plenty of eggs in the fridge, I decided that I would make breakfast for lunch today and got online to find a potato recipe with my last few perfect potatoes that were still hiding out on the counter.

I went with Elise's Crispy Hash Browns recipe because of my love for her website and also because it allowed me to use my potato ricer. I purchased a potato ricer years ago at Williams-Sonoma (I think during my Martha Stewart phase when I watched MS Living religiously in the 90's), but only used it once due to the fact that I am not strong enough to rice multiple pounds of potatoes without my hand/arm falling off. I also have a potato masher that has also suffered the same fate as the ricer and is buried in the "not used much" drawer. The ricer worked wonders in getting out all the liquid in the potatoes, so that you can get perfectly crispy hash browns. If you don't have a ricer, don't cry because blotting the potatoes with paper towels works too (I tried with a small part of my grated potatoes). It will just take longer to get all the liquid out. The recipe is ridiculously easy and I have decided that I will never purchase frozen hash browns again.

No comments: