Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Okra

I had been eyeing the okra in the Farmer's Market for weeks now, but hadn't figured out what to do with it. I finally asked Justin what he did with his. He told me that he had been eating it raw (something that I never thought of) and that a friend of his said to fry up bacon, batter it and fry it. I had read his comment weeks ago, so I had totally forgotten the whole "batter" part of it when I was making dinner last night. I was already almost finished making dinner, so I decided that I would just throw them in the bacon grease without batter. Great idea! I just sauteed them for a short period of time and drained them on a paper towel. They were delicious with a slight hint of the bacon. I know that a lot of people think that okra is super slimy, but when cooked this way, it wasn't at all.

P.S. I saved the bacon for salads. Soooooo much better than those fake bacon bits!

1 comment:

Danielle said...

I grew up using bacon grease to fry almost anything...or throw a tablespoon or 10 in your veggies when you cook them...or use as a main ingredient in salad dressing...mmmm...super healthy