Saturday, August 9, 2008

Farmer's Market Experiment

If you have been paying attention to my blog, you already know that I have a friend, Justin, who shops for the week every Sunday at the Farmer's Market. Well, he inspired me to start writing this blog and to try using his tactic on how to shop...no list or anything, just buy whatever looks good. I have to say that since I am a planner when it comes to cooking, it wasn't as easy as it sounds. I start to think about what I can make and then wonder if I have everything for that recipe! So I had to clear my mind and just get on with it. I also didn't go crazy with the purchasing of food since Nathaniel is gone till mid-week (plus I can always get some more staples on T/Th), so this is what I got. 3 lbs bacon & a lb ground pork (ok, maybe I went a little crazy with the pork products, but I LOVE bacon! All that set me back $27, but should be well worth it. http://www.amysmeats.com/), baby leeks, yellow watermelon, dozen ears of corn, dozen organic eggs, small onions, yellow heirloom tomatoes, variety of heirloom cherry tomatoes, mini squash, blackberries, 2 eggplants, 2 jalapenos, purple wax beans, garlic, a bunch of basil and a bag of chile peppers.

My first meal will consist of the eggs, some leeks & goat cheese that I already have in the fridge. Unfortunately, I have no heavy cream right now because scrambled eggs are always better with some cream!

No comments: