Sunday, August 24, 2008

Breakfast of Champions


Chris and I usually don't eat a lot of breakfast because I am pretty lazy in the mornings. We used to have a favorite weekend breakfast place (that served eggs benedicts with goat cheese...yummy), but New Hampshire St Bistro closed down last year and we haven't really been the same since. This has meant that I have to cook breakfasts on weekends now. I have been trying to branch out with the variety, but sometimes it's hard for me to make anything different since we really do enjoy that one potato dish that I posted awhile back. But Chris is a big fan of biscuits and gravy, so I decided to make him some. I also decided to make fried green tomatoes (a favorite of mine) since I had just picked up some at the Farmer's Market on Saturday.

I found both recipes online. Both were excellent, but I didn't completely follow the biscuits and gravy recipe. I decided to doctor the recipe a bit by not shaping the sausage into patties, but just breaking it up in the pan. I don't know if this is the reason that I didn't get a lot of grease in the pan or not. I probably only ended up with a 1 1/2 tbs of grease. I would have also made more gravy and had less sausage in it, but Chris really enjoyed it the way it was.
The fried green tomatoes were cooked in bacon grease (hence the bacon on the plate) and were pretty damn good. We don't usually eat such a big (unhealthy) meal, but I was feeling devious and why the heck not?


http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2007/09/biscuits_and_gr/

No comments: