Sunday, August 17, 2008

The Day After Breakfast

I woke up to a grumbling stomach due to the fact that I had partied like a rockstar at a bachelorette party last night. I was feeling unbelievably good for someone that drank as much as I did, but I was HUNGRY. After debating with Chris about if we should go out for breakfast, I decided that I wasn't really up for leaving the house.
So I whipped up our favorite breakfast. There are times when this is the only thing that I make for breakfast on weekends, but it's so tasty that no one cares that we just had it. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE this dish.
Country Brunch Skillet adapted from Maryana Vollstedt's The Big Book of Breakfast
(This is a very forgiving recipe when it comes to the veggies--you can omit things or add other veggies to your liking. But DO NOT omit the bacon!)
Serves 4.
4 oz bacon, chopped
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
4 green onions, sliced
4 oz button mushrooms, sliced (I usually add more since I love them)
4 cups frozen cubed hash brown potatoes, slightly thawed (Try to find the biggest cubed ones. I
have used smaller cubed ones and they get mushy.)
4 large poached eggs (You can omit the eggs if you want, but the yolks breaking in the dish adds
that much goodness!)
salt, pepper to taste
1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese (I used a white Cheddar this time because that's all I had, but
regular Kraft works)
In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon with slotted spoon to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain. Leave 2 tbs dripping in skillet (or if you are really feeling naughty, leave it all--the potatoes & mushrooms will soak it all up). Add bell pepper, green onions and mushrooms and saute for 2 minutes. Add hash browns and cook, turning occasionally, until hash browns are tender and browned, 10-15 minutes. Stir in bacon. Salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to low, sprinkle with cheese, cover and let cheese melt. Add a poached egg on each serving. Hot sauce is wonderful with this dish.
Enjoy!

1 comment:

Danielle said...

mmm...looks tasty!!! Breakfast is my favorite meal to go "out" for. I LOVE MILTONS!!! but you can't really go there on a Sunday!!! YIKES!
See ya later, Rockstar!