Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Homemade Tomato Juice

I had recently told Chris that he was no longer allowed to purchase his case of V-8 at Costco due to the extremely high sodium that was in each 12 oz can. When we picked up the flat of tomatoes the other day, I promised that I would make him some homemade tomato juice.

This is the recipe that I used:
http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/007310homemade_tomato_juice.php

It was pretty simple, but I did have a bit of a problem with my food mill (it's been a long time since I used it and maybe I wasn't using it right). There is no way that I would suggest using a sieve to push the juice through because you'll be there for days. The food mill is the only way to go. My tomatoes were sweeter than I thought, so I should have used less than the 1 1/2 tbs that I used but I did add some extra dashes of Tabasco since we love spicy stuff. My batch didn't make a whole quart, but it's probably because I got pretty impatient with the food mill. Definitely tasty and I'll make it again with some modifications in the future.

P.S. I still have half a flat of tomatoes left.

No comments: