Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Pendleton's Farm 04/24 and Farmer's Market 04/25

One of the greatest things about living in the Midwest is the proximity to farms. We are able to get great local vegetables at a decent price and that tastes better than anything you can get in the grocery store. At the outskirt of town, there is a wonderful place called Pendleton's, where you can pick your own asparagus during this time of year. I called up Megan to see if she wanted to join me to pick some (which was a lot more fun to have a friend around). For $2.50/lb or was it's $3.50? (I can't remember, but it was a great deal either way), we picked some delicious asparagus. So perfect that I picked 3 lbs of it. We also got some spinach (picking it was a big job since it was medium sized leaves) and I was thrilled to find fresh tomatoes up at the store when we went to pay. They also have great pots of flowers, plants and herbs for your garden, which I skipped this time (I have 150 bulbs that need planting as I type). They also should have morel mushrooms soon, but I am afraid that I might miss them while I am out of town for my honeymoon!

We didn't pick up a lot at the farmer's market this weekend since I had just gone to Pendleton's the day before. I did pick up a couple of pounds of ground pork (we have LOTS of beef still from our CSA subscription--we plan on continuing a smaller sized one when we eat through some of the meat), the carton of eggs that Chris forgot last week when I was out of town, green onions, cilantro (which wasn't very flavorful and very disappointing), some homemade potato & pea samosas (which were bland), a lb of bacon and a lb of grass feed meat bacon. Meat bacon? We'll see how it tastes, but I figured that we would give it a try. Since Amy's Meats hasn't had bacon lately, I have bought mine from the wonderful lady at Homespun Hill Farm.



This Saturday is the grand opening of the Farmer's Market, which also means that the Tuesday/Thursday markets will also be starting up next week. I am looking forward to buying minimal vegetables at the grocery store (even if I have become very fond of our local Co-op, mostly because a father of friends works there and it's nice to chat with him weekly) and will probably be making less trips to the chain grocery stores in town as the summer goes on. Hope that everyone is going to take advantage of their local Farmer's Markets this summer!

No comments: