Wednesday, April 8, 2009

New Orleans April 2009 Part 1

Right before our trip to New Orleans, I received my April issue of Gourmet in the mail. In the Roadfood section (Roadfood will come up again later), there was an article about roast beef po-boys in New Orleans. There were two restaurants for them that they mentioned and we tried Parkway Bakery and Tavern for our first meal of the trip. It ended up being my favorite meal of the trip. This amazing little place has a bar on one side and sells po-boys on the other.

My surf and turf po-boy. That's a small sized sandwich! Inside was lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, fried shrimp, roast beef and gravy.
It was loaded with so much roast beef and shrimp that I ended up having to eat most of it with a fork! So delicious!


Chris' sandwich was the special of the day called swamp thing. Alligator sausage with gumbo. We also ordered cheese fries. They give you a choice of cheeses too! Perfectly crispy fries with cheese that wasn't hard and crusty.

We almost ate here again the last night of our trip because our first choice was closed on Sundays and we were having difficulties thinking of other places not in the French Quarter to eat at. But Chris' friend ended up suggesting a Spanish restaurant instead that we met up with him at, so I didn't get to eat another one of these incredible po-boys. I am starting to kick myself a little bit about that. Guess I just need to go back!

No comments: