Saturday, April 25, 2009

Creamy Herbed Potatoes

I went to a potluck the other night and the hostess wanted me to bring a potato dish. I love Cheddar cheese with sour cream potatoes that everyone always brings to potlucks, but I figured that I would find something a little different instead. I came across this WONDERFULLY sinful potato recipe from Pioneer Woman. She suggests using any of your favorite fresh herbs. I only had thyme in my fridge, so I used that and worked perfectly (I used about a couple teaspoons worth). Adjust the herbs to your liking. This recipe is delicious and the leftovers were well received by my husband, who has already asked for me to make it again. And since I didn't get a chance to snap a picture, I'll make sure to make it again soon!


Creamy Herbed Potatoes from the Pioneer Woman

PW’s Creamy Herbed Potatoes
4 to 5 russet potatoes
1 stick (1/4 pound) butter
1 medium onion, finely diced
8 ounces cream cheese
3/4 cup heavy cream
1 cup whole milk (half & half works, too)
1 teaspoon finely chopped rosemary
1 teaspoon finely chopped parsley
1 teaspoon finely chopped chives
1/2 teaspoon finely chopped sage


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Slice potatoes very thinly.Add butter to a large skillet over medium low heat, When melted, add diced onion. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cream cheese to the pan and stir to melt.Pour in cream and milk, stirring to combine.Season with plenty of salt and pepper, then add chopped herbs.Place potatoes in a buttered baking dish. Pour contents of skillet over the top.Top with Parmesan cheese and bake for 45 minutes, or until bubbly and…bubbly. Allow potatoes to sit 15 minutes before serving.

Tip: Do not try to transport this dish unbaked unless your dish has a good seal. I learned this the hard way and ended up with about a half cup of liquid (cream, milk & butter) all over my car (luckily most of it on the floor mat).

No comments: