Monday, November 10, 2008

Last Week's Cooking Class

I know that I am slacking in the posts! I am about 3 posts behind and I will try to get them up asap! I didn't end up going to Chicago because I needed to have a relaxing weekend before the holidays. Now that I am rested, I am ready to take on the holiday season. Ok, I am not, but let's pretend that I am.

I took cooking class #3 at the Merc last week. It was called "A Vegetarian Indian Feast Made With Fresh Paneer" taught by a woman who was grew up in New Delhi and has lived in Lawrence for the past 20+ years. For those who aren't familiar with Indian food, paneer is Indian cheese. It's unbelievably easy to make (milk and vinegar). It's creamy, delicious and very versatile. She showed us how to make the paneer and how to use it in 5 different dishes. I'll be making it in the near future (since Chris is really excited about this), so I'll post step-by-step pics of how to make paneer on my blog.

Tonight, I am taking another class (#2 out of 3 this month) where I will learn the tricks of making breakfast breads. The sole reason that I signed up for this class is that the instructor is making cinnamon rolls (YUMMY!) and I have completely forgotten what else is being made!

The cold weather has made it's way to KS, so expect some cold-weather homey foods to start appearing. I've already gotten into a rut in making some foods that are sure things lately and haven't been pulling out the old cookbooks as much. I am really enjoying Barefoot Contessa's Back to Basics, so if you are in the market for a new cookbook, I highly recommend it. I pretty much want to make everything in it and I've already made a few recipes with plans for more soon!

Anyway, it's off to Half Price Books right now where I am going to purchase another cookbook! I have some great coupons and spent two hours yesterday scanning the whole store for some great purchases (of course, there was more than just one great book, but the coupons are for a single purchase). So I am going back today to purchase The Perfect Scoop at the ridiculously cheap price of 40% off $12.99 (brand new copy too)! By the way, is it wrong to buy an ice cream cookbook when it's 40-some degrees outside?

No comments: