Saturday, November 8, 2008

Last Farmer's Market For The Year Today


The last Farmer's Market for Lawrence was today. It's a sad day for me because that means that till April, I will have to shop in the grocery stores for all my produce. Luckily, we signed up and paid for a CSA from Amy's Meats to get 15 lbs of beef/pork & 2 cartons of farm-fresh eggs monthly until the Farmer's Market starts up again. It's nice because she makes a bi-monthly trek out to Lawrence (they are right outside of it) and you pick up your meat at one of the three locations that she has set up. The upfront cost was a lot, but in the long run, we are probably saving a bundle since we were buying quite a bit of meat/pork from her weekly. Plus now, we don't have to worry about paying for beef/pork products (unless we decide to add some stuff on) till April. Amy took really good care of us this month with tons of great stuff in our bag: 2 cartons eggs, lb flank steak, lb minute steak, 2 lb ground beef, lb ground pork, lb Italian sausage, lb sausage patties, 2 3/4 lb rump roast, 2 1/2 lb arm roast, 1 1/2 lb ham steak, and 1 1/4 lb pork tenderloin. It looks like I'll be busy looking for some recipes for all this stuff!

Along with our CSA subscription, we also purchased one whole chicken, 2 lbs chicken thighs, 3 lbs chicken wings (I am in the middle of reading a book right now that has me swearing off chicken from the market--I'll post about the book later), 2 lbs of lamb chops (great thing is this farmer will also be making a monthly visit from Baldwin to sell her beef/lamb/pork too), bok choy, 2 bunches of arugula, salad mix, cilantro, a HUGE leek, 2+ lbs of Roma tomatoes, dill, hummus, baklav and organic cayenne pepper.
That's the last purchase of 2008 at the Farmer's Market for me. Sad, sad, sad. I have a couple of posts that I haven't gotten to yet, so I'll try to get those up soon. Hope everyone has a good weekend!

No comments: