Sunday, December 7, 2008

Slacking!

Sorry about the lack of posts! With the holiday and my trip to see the in-laws, I haven't had much time to blog! I didn't get a chance to cook much before our trip since we were busy with an out of town guest and running around trying to get things ready for our trip.


We ate A LOT of great food in Texas, but I have to say that I was a little relived that I finally got to cook and eat at home tonight! Our friends from Dallas were planning to come down for the weekend and Jeff told us that there was only one thing that he wanted to do was eat at Taco Taco, which was named best taco in America by Bon Appetit. The small no-frills restaurant only holds 40 people and the homemade tortillas and authentic Mexican fillings in the tacos made us recall the delicious tacos that we had in Mexico. It was so tasty that Chris and I made another trip to the restaurant the day that we left San Antonio for a final meal there.

April, Brett and I also ate at the Tip Top Cafe (while the adult males were golfing on Sunday), which I had seen on Food Network's Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. I had never eaten at a restaurant that I had seen on this show and always wanted to, but I was pretty disappointed with the food. My chicken fried steak was huge, but pretty flavorless and I'll probably skip any of Guy Fieri's choices from now on.

Sunday night after the nephews left, Chris' dad took us to Welfare Cafe in Hill Country. The restaurants is in the middle of nowhere on a working ranch. Unfortunately, the weather was windy and cold, so we couldn't sit outside on their porch. There was a bluegrass band playing that night, making most conversation hard to hear, but the food was wonderful. They have a rotating small daily menu (not a good place for vegetarians or picky eaters).

We ended up eating at Liberty Bar the last night that we were in San Antonio. It's a restaurant in an old building with a crooked floor. I have eaten here a couple of times and I wasn't really that impressed the first time, but it's a place that Chris' parents like to eat at. The menu is extensive, which sometimes isn't a good thing. But this time, I did have some delightful pasta (which was a great choice after all the super fattening foods that I had eaten during the trip).

I can't wait for another trip down to San Antonio next year for some more mouth watering food!

1 comment:

H3 said...

I agree with your comment about the Diner, Grace. It was only so-so after eating that wonderful food at Taco Taco.
I have visited the Liberty Bar myself and really enjoyed the food that I had there. I had a grilled Eggplant sandwich if I remember correctly. The thing that I really enjoyed about this find is the items on the menu are not something that you would see just anywhere. It has a great atmosphere and unique food choices. I would recommend it to anyone visiting the area.