Thursday, March 26, 2009

Spring Break 2009--Liberty Bar--part 1

Every year for spring break, my son and I usually go out to CA to visit my side of the family. But since my parents are out of the country for a few months, we opted to go down to see the in-laws in San Antonio for part of the week. We didn't do much besides eat and hang out with the family, but that's the best kind of vacation when visiting family!

The restaurant that we go to almost every time in San Antonio is the Liberty Bar. I have a love/hate relationship with this restaurant. I seem to be the only one who has these issues with this place. Chris and his parents love eating here, but I have a good meal here only every other visit and this time was not one of those times. Nathaniel wasn't a fan of his steak and the roasted tomatoes on his plate were cooked too long, so that they were extremely mushy.



Chris ordered the All Day Special. Take note of the price...haha.


Liberty Bar does have the most delicious hummus. They grill the pita bread and the hummus has a little bit of heat to it. Love it!


Chris' dish was really tasty. The sweetbreads were firm, not mushy with a great grilled flavor.



My dish was not so great. I ordered a pasta dish (they make their own pasta) with tomatoes, onions and salt pork, which I ordered last time and loved. But I was brought out the thyme, garlic and olive oil one instead since the waitress didn't write everything down and misheard my order (even though everyone else heard me). The first plate was just some plain pasta with some very bitter garlic (pretty disgusting), so I had the waitress take it back. I noticed that I was brought out a larger plate of pasta because instead of throwing the first dish away, they just mixed it in with the one that I ordered. This didn't work well and resulted in a plate of pasta that I barely ate.


They do make great desserts. I had some mango ice cream to go and Nathaniel had the chocolate cake, which was an amazing looking layer cake. I am sure that Liberty Bar will be in my future again since everyone else likes it, but I can't say that I give it my recommendation without any reservations.

No comments: