Friday, February 27, 2009

February Cooking Class #2

On Tuesday night, I took another cooking class with Chef Nancy (I think this means that I am an official groupie now) which was about fast Asian noodle dishes. I had actually signed up & paid for this the last time she taught it, but had to miss it at the last minute. So technically, I paid for this class twice. The three dishes that she made were Phad Thai, Soba Noodle Salad with Miso Glazed Salmon and Beef Pho. Phad Thai is a dish that I never order in restaurants because I am always frightened that it's going to come out with ketchup in the sauce, which makes the noodle dish super sweet and not palatable to my stomach. There is NO ketchup in real Phad Thai, so avoid making it with ketchup!! If ketchup had been used in Nancy's recipe, I would have been disappointed forever and stopped taking her classes. But luckily for me, she didn't! I'll be making this dish later this weekend, so expect a post soon on how to make real Phad Thai.



I wasn't excited about the salmon part of the second dish. Salmon is one of my least favorite proteins because I find it boring, even though I love fish. But I have to say that Nancy's dish made me rethink my views on the fish. It was perfectly moist and seasoned. I wouldn't have thought that I would gobble the entire piece up and still crave more. I look forward to making this one for my salmon-loving son and husband!



The beef pho was another dish that I was really excited to taste. I love a big bowl of pho when the weather is cold and have been wanting to learn how to make it for a long time now. It's pretty time consuming with having to make the beef broth, but it's worth it.

Recipes to follow soon!

No comments: